A Consultation is a court proceeding where the Registrar may mediate the dispute between parties and determine whether a claim has been properly brought before the Tribunal. The Registrar can issue orders or give directions including fixing the case for hearing before a Referee if parties are unable to reach a settlement.

All parties to a case must attend the Consultation. Failure to attend the Consultation can result in an adverse order being made against the absent party - if you are a claimant, your claim may be dismissed; if you are a respondent, a default judgment may be entered against you.

Opportunity for settlement

If parties are able to reach a settlement during the Consultation, the Registrar may record a Consent Order to reflect their agreement. This Consent Order is binding and enforceable as a Magistrate's Court order. A copy of the Consent Order will be provided to parties by the Registrar and/or made available online at CJTS.

Fixing a matter for Hearing

Where parties are unable to settle a matter at the Consultation, the Registrar will give further directions to move the matter along as it deems fit, including ordering further Consultations for the case or fixing the case for a Hearing before a Referee. The Hearing can occur within 24 hours of the date of the Consultation, unless otherwise directed.

What should I bring?

For claims filed before 10 July 2017 (manually):

  • Identification documents. 
  • ACRA Business Profile. For business entities, copies of the ACRA business profile (obtained within 1 month from the date of filing) must be furnished. Obtaining an instant information business search (business profile). The ACRA business profile can be purchased online at www.bizfile.gov.sg (> Purchase of Information > Instant Information > Business Profile) or at any ACRA-accredited service providers, such as CrimsonLogic Pte. Ltd.
  • Letter of Authorisation. If you are filing a claim on behalf of a company or other entity, a letter of authorisation on the entity's letterhead is required for each attendance at Consultation and/or Hearing.
  • Translations. All documents not in the English language must be accompanied by a certified English translation made by a professional translator.
  • Memorandum of Consent, if any. For claims exceeding $10,000 but below $20,000, a Memorandum of Consent signed by both parties is required.
  • Evidence of service. Examples include: the registered post slip, a courier slip, or a signed statement in writing by the claimant stating the date, time and how the documents were served on the respondent.

For claims filed on or after 10 July 2017 (via CJTS):

  • Identification documents
  • Originals of all the document(s) uploaded onto CJTS, as the Tribunals may ask for them to be produced for verification. See here for a list of the documents to be uploaded on CJTS.

Who may represent me?

  • Lawyers are not allowed to represent any of the parties in proceedings before the Tribunals.
  • Sole proprietors and individuals who are claimants or respondents must attend in person.
  • Companies can only be represented by one of their directors or their full time employees. A partnership can be represented by one of its partners or full time employee.
  • A person who is, in the opinion of the Tribunal, unable to present his own case by reason of old age, illiteracy or infirmity of mind or body, mind or body, may be represented by a person who is duly authorised by him in writing or who is approved by the Tribunal.
    • For claims filed before 10 July 2017 (manually): a party may fill out this application to be an authorised representative to present the case and submit it to the Registrar during the Consultation.
    • For claims filed on or after 10 July 2017 (CJTS): a party may apply for representation by logging on to CJTS and choosing the e-service "Application for Representative". The application is subject to the Tribunal's approval.

Can I be accompanied by a family member, friend or other person at the CMC or a hearing?

Unrepresented litigants-in-person may apply under the Community Justice and Tribunals Division (CJTD) Friend Scheme to be assisted in proceedings before the tribunal or the Registrar by a family member, friend, or a volunteer from the Community Justice Centre or other pro bono agency / entity. Please note that the CJTD Friend may not provide you with legal advice, manage your case or act as your agent when dealing with other parties, or address the tribunal or the Registrar during the CMC or at a hearing. 

This request to be accompanied by a CJTD Friend is subject to the approval of the tribunal or the Registrar. If you wish to make an application under the CJTD Friend Scheme, you may find out more details here.

Last updated on: 2/5/2019 2:45 PM


Strongly Disagree
Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Tell us how we can improve this page.

Please email if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.

We will use your contact infomation for feedback related to the website only.

There are 2000 characters left