Filing your claim 

The procedures governing proceedings in the PHC may be found in the Supreme Court of Judicature (Protection from Harassment Court) Rules 2021. 

Simplified Proceedings

Claims under Part 3 of the POHA (which include claims for damages, protection orders, mandatory treatment orders and false statement orders) must be commenced under the simplified proceedings, except where:

  • You are claiming for damages of more than $20,000;
  • You are bringing a claim against more than 5 respondents;
  • You are bringing a claim with any co-claimant; or
  • You are bringing a claim in respect of a cause of action which accrued more than 2 years ago.

A claim under the simplified proceedings must be filed online using the case filing and management system called the Community Justice and Tribunals System (CJTS). Should a claimant wish to change from simplified proceedings to standard proceedings, an application may be filed to seek leave of the court to do this. 

Standard Proceedings

If the claim falls within the exceptions to the simplified proceedings cited earlier, the claim must be filed under standard proceedings through eLitigation.

Standard Proceedings

Applying for Final Orders (excluding claims for monetary compensation)

This section concerns an application for any of the following Final Orders:

    1. Protection Orders (PO)
    2. Stop publication orders (SPO)
    3. Correction orders (CO)
    4. Disabling orders (DO)
    5. Targeted correction orders (TCO)
    6. General correction orders (GCO)

Step 1: Filing your Application

Preparing your documents

You are required to prepare and file your Originating Summons (OS) together with your Supporting Affidavit (SA) using the prescribed Forms in the Supreme Court of Judicature (Protection from Harassment Court) Rules 2021. Samples of the Forms can be found and downloaded on this website (under Resources → List of Forms) as well as the self-help kiosks located at the Business Centre (State Courts, Level 2). If you intend to obtain samples of the Forms at the self-help kiosks, you may wish to consider bringing a thumb drive with you to save your work.

You will also need to ensure that you have copies of all other supporting documents that you wish to use as evidence in your case.

If you are filing an OS, you are known as the Applicant. Generally, the person whom you are seeking a court order against is known as the Respondent.

Affirming/Swearing your Affidavit

Your SA contains evidence that will be presented before the Court. It is necessary for you to affirm/swear that the contents of your SA are true to the best of your knowledge.

Affirmation/Swearing of your SA is done before a Commissioner for Oaths. You may approach a law firm to assist you with the affirmation/swearing of your SA. Alternatively, you can affirm/swear the contents of your SA at Central Registry (State Courts, Level 2).

Please take note that affirming/swearing your SA in Court will cost at least S$15.00.

Filing your documents

Once you have prepared your OS and SA, you will need to file these documents through eLitigation at the CrimsonLogic Service Bureau to formally commence your application. Please note that costs, such as filing fees and service charges, will apply. The location, operating hours and contact numbers of the service bureau is as follows.

LawNet & CrimsonLogic Service Bureau

133 New Bridge Road,
#19-01/02 Chinatown Point
Singapore 059413
Tel: (65) 6538 9507
Fax: (65) 6438 6350

Operating Hours:
Mondays to Fridays: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:30 am – 12:00 pm
Closed on Public Holidays

More information on eLitigation and the CrimsonLogic Service Bureau can be found on their respective websites at and

Serving your documents

Service is the formal procedure by which you inform another party that he/she/it is are being sued, or of any court order issued against him/her/it.

After filing your documents, you will need to serve a copy of your OS and SA on the Respondent (or any other party which the Court has directed you to serve) 

Where the proper address of the person to be served is known, you may effect service on that person by —

(a) leaving with that person a copy of that document;

(b) posting a copy of that document on the front door of the proper address of that person; or

(c) sending a copy of that document by registered post to the proper address of that person.

You may also effect service by any other means directed by the Court.

The "proper address" of a person is defined in the Rules of Court as:

(a) in any case, the business address of the solicitor (if any) who is acting for him in the proceedings in connection with which service of the document in question is to be effected;

(b) in the case of an individual, his usual or last known address;

(c) in the case of individuals who are suing or being sued in the name of a firm, the principal or last known place of business of the firm within the jurisdiction; and

(d) in the case of a body corporate, the registered or principal office of the body.

Within eight days from the date your documents are served on the Respondent, you must file an Memorandum of Service.

Respondent's reply

Within 14 days after being served with your OS and SA, the Respondent, and anyone else against whom orders are sought and who has been served with your OS and SA, may file a reply to your application using the prescribed Form.

Step 2: Pre-Trial Conference (PTC)

Your case will generally be fixed for a PTC before a Judge four weeks after your OS and SA are filed. Both you and the Respondent will be required to appear before the Court on the PTC date.

If either party is a company, limited liability partnership, or unincorporated association, the Rules of Court generally require a qualified lawyer to represent the entity.

At the PTC, the Judge may refer the parties for mediation to explore an amicable settlement or counselling. If the case is settled at mediation, the case is concluded. If the matter cannot be amicably resolved, the parties will be given another PTC date, and the case may then be fixed for hearing.

Step 3: Hearing

On the day of the hearing, you must bring along all your documentary evidence, such as photographs, police and/or medical reports, and computer print-outs of harassment online. Your witnesses must also be present in Court, unless they have been granted permission to testify by video-link.

If your order is granted by the Judge, you must serve it on the Respondent and are recommended to thereafter file an Memorandum of Service.

Generally, protection and false statement orders take effect only after they have been served on the Respondent.

Suing for monetary compensation

If you intend to sue a harasser or stalker for monetary compensation, please refer to the process to commence a civil action here.

Simplified Proceedings

All claims under the simplified proceedings must be submitted online through the Community Justice and Tribunals System (CJTS).

What documents must I upload?

You should prepare the following documents for your claim:

Supporting documents: All documents to support your claim (letters / email correspondence with other agencies where help was sought / photographs / settlement agreements / etc.).

Translations: All documents not in the English language must be accompanied by a certified English translation made by a professional translator.

Filing a claim in CJTS

Step 1Go to
Step 2Login using your Singpass by clicking on "For Individual Users" if you are an individual or "For Business Users" if you are transacting on behalf of a business entity.  If you are not eligible for Singpass, you may apply for a CJTSPass by clicking "Register for CJTSPass".
Step 3Update "My Profile" with your personal particulars.
Step 4Click "Online applications", then "Claim Form"
Step 5Key in your Pre-Filing ID or proceed to do your Pre-Filing Assessment to obtain a Pre-Filing ID.
Step 6Complete the questions in the Pre-Filing Assessment, and click "Submit".
Step 7

Fill in your claim and upload your supporting documents.

Click "Submit", then "Confirm to Proceed".

Step 8

Pay the filing fees. Claims and Applications filed in CJTS will be processed only after the requisite payments are made. Payment may be made:

Online: Credit Card / eNets

Offline: Click "Pay Later/PayNow" and then "Generate Payment Advice". Bring the payment advice to the State Courts and pay by cash, Nets, Nets FlashPay or credit cards at Automated Collection System (ACS) machines located at Levels 2, 4, or 7 of the State Courts. Alternatively, you can scan the QR code at the bottom of the payment advice page

Step 9Choose a court date and time for the Case Management Conference (CMC).
Step 10Click "Save Respondent's Notice". Print the Notice of CMC and the Claim to serve on the Respondent.
Step 11

Within 14 calendar days after the Claim is filed via CJTS, you must serve the Claim and supporting evidence on the Respondent.


E.g. If you filed your Claim on 1 August 2020, you must serve the Claim and supporting evidence on the Respondent by 15 August 2020 at the latest.

Step 12You must file a Declaration of Service in CJTS within 8 days after the date you served the Respondent with the claim and supporting documents.
Step 13If the Respondent intends to object to or contest the Claim, the Respondent has 14 calendar days after being served with the Claim and supporting evidence to file his Response, together with the supporting evidence in CJTS.
Step 14

Both you and the Respondent must attend the PTC on the specified date and time.

Things to bring:

  1. National Registration Identity Card (for Singapore citizen / Permanent Resident)
  2. Passport and Employment Pass (for foreign citizens, if available)
  3. One set of the Claim, Reply, and any supporting evidence 

A business entity may authorise a full-time employee to attend the CMC on its behalf. A Letter of Authorisation must be prepared and uploaded on CJTS prior to the CMC, and one copy brought along on the specified date.

Step 15

During the CMC, the following orders may be made:

  1. The parties may be ordered to attend mediation
  2. The parties may be ordered to attend counselling
  3. A further CMC may be scheduled
  4. The case may be fixed for a hearing
Step 16When the case has been fixed for a hearing, a Notice of Hearing will be issued to the parties informing them of the specified date and time.
Step 17If an Order is made, the PHC will prepare the Court Order, which may then be extracted and served on the relevant party according to the directions of the PHC judge.

Applying for interim or expedited orders

This section applies only to the following interim or expedited orders under both the standard and simplified proceedings:

  1. Expedited Protection Order (EPO)
  2. Interim stop publication order (ISPO)
  3. Interim disabling order (IDO)
  4. Interim notification order (INO)
  5. Targeted interim notification order (TINO)

Application for interim or expedited orders (only if you have applied for a corresponding Final Order)

Please refer to the Overview of Civil Remedies page to find out whether you may apply for the desired interim or expedited order.

The application process for an interim or expedited order is similar to that for final orders. However, during the filing of your claim / application, you can indicate that you are applying for an interim or expedited order in addition to a final order.

Should you do this, the application process for the interim or expedited order will be slightly different in the following ways:

  1. Your application for the interim or expedited order will be fixed for a hearing before a Judge. This hearing will usually be fixed within the next two working days instead of four weeks from the date you filed your claim / application.
  2. If you are represented by a lawyer, you should still remain available to attend Court in person on the hearing date mentioned above.
  3. You do not need to serve a copy of your OS and SA / claim and supporting evidence on the Respondent before the hearing of the application for the interim or expedited order. During the hearing mentioned above, the Judge will give you specific directions for service of your documents, including directions for service of the interim or expedited order should your application be successful.

Please note that interim or expedited orders generally take effect only after they have been served on the Respondent or party against whom they are made.

After your application for an interim or expedited order has been dealt with

The outcome of your application for an interim or expedited order does not affect your application for a final order. Regardless of the outcome of your application for an interim or expedited order, your case will still be fixed for a PTC regarding your application for a final order once the Court has fully dealt with your application for the interim or expedited order.

Last updated on: 24/6/2021 3:34 PM


Strongly Disagree
Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Tell us how we can improve this page.

Please email if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.

We will use your contact infomation for feedback related to the website only.

There are 2000 characters left