​A CMC is a meeting between the parties and the Registrar for the smooth management of a case. At a CMC, the Registrar will decide if the claim has been properly brought before the ECT, attempt to mediate the dispute between the parties and make such orders and give such directions as he/she deems fit. A CMC is generally held within 4 weeks from the date the claim is filed.

All parties to a case must attend the CMC. A failure to attend the CMC can result in an adverse order being made against the absent party. If you are a claimant, your claim may be dismissed.  If you are a respondent, a default judgment may be entered against you.

Opportunity for settlement

If parties are able to reach a settlement during the CMC, the Registrar may record a Consent Order to reflect their agreement. This Consent Order is binding and enforceable as a District Court Order. A copy of the Consent Order will be provided to parties by the Registrar and/or made available online in the CJTS.

Fixing a matter for Hearing

Where parties are unable to settle a matter at the CMC, the Registrar will give further directions to move the matter along as it deems fit, including ordering further CMCs for the case. When the Registrar is satisfied that parties have their documents in order and are ready for trial, the matter will be fixed for a Hearing before a judge.

Who may represent me at the CMC or at a Hearing?

Lawyers are not allowed to represent any of the parties in proceedings before the Tribunals. A party may be represented by another person in only the following situations:


Who can represent the party?

The party is a body corporate An officer or a full-time employee of the body corporate
The party is a partnershipA partner or a full-time employee of the partnership
The party is an unincorporated associationA member of the governing body or a full-time employee of the unincorporated association
The party is a union member of a unionised companyAn officer of the union
The party is below 18 years old The party's parent, guardian, or any person as may be approved by the Tribunal or the Registrar
The party is unable to present his own case by reason of illiteracy or infirmity of mind or body  A person who is duly authorised in writing by the party as may be approved by the Tribunal or the Registrar
The party is the Government A public officer


A party who wishes to be represented must apply for representation by logging on to the CJTS and choosing the e-service "Application for Representative". The application is subject to the ECT's approval.

Can I be accompanied by a family member, friend or other person at the CMC or a hearing?

Unrepresented litigants-in-person may apply under the Community Justice and Tribunals Division (CJTD) Friend Scheme to be assisted in proceedings before the ECT or the Registrar by a family member, friend, or a volunteer from the Community Justice Centre or other pro bono agency / entity. Please note that the CJTD Friend may not provide you with legal advice, manage your case or act as your agent when dealing with other parties, or address the tribunal or the Registrar during the CMC or at a hearing. 

This request to be accompanied by a CJTD Friend is subject to the approval of the tribunal or the Registrar. If you wish to make an application under the CJTD Friend Scheme, you may find out more details here.

Last updated on: 16/12/2019 2:42 PM


Strongly Disagree
Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Tell us how we can improve this page.

Please email if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.

We will use your contact infomation for feedback related to the website only.

There are 2000 characters left